IONS recognizes the existence of Anti-Indigenous Racism in Mi’kma’ki and its deep historical roots. We commit to working in solidarity with our Mi’kmaq colleagues, partners, and collaborators, to speak out against this form of racism and to help the nonprofit and voluntary sector in the province implement the TRC recommendations, decolonize their organizations and work collectively for meaningful social change to address the underlying and entrenched systemic issues.
Throughout our Decolonization Learning Journey series we have been gathering resources and information by our hosting team, including Elder Jane Meader, Mary Beth Doucette, and Unama’ki College. We hope that these resources help you in your own learning and as we continue our online learning series we will add resources to deepen our understanding and move towards meaningful and long-term change.
Scroll below to find Videos, Movies, and Podcasts to help you learn more about Indigenous History, Current Affairs, and how to be a better ally.
VIDEOS & MOVIES
- Clearing the Plain – James Daschuk
- Vimeo documentary: The Pass System – free now with password “JUSTICE” (normally $5 (CA) to rent)
- 2018 Woodrow Llyod Lecture
- Pam Palmeter – visit her website to find Videos, Podcasts, Books, and Resources
- Pam Palmeter’s YouTube Channel
- Watch an extended version of the Creation Story – CBU
- The Doctrine of Discovery: Unmasking the Domination Code – by filmmaker Sheldon Woldchild
- 8th Fire Wab Kinew – 500 years in 2 minutes
- The History of Wampum Belts – Explanation by Stephen Augustine
- Mi’kmaw Grand Council and Hereditary Chiefs – Explanation by Stephen Augustine
- The Royal Proclamation of 1763 – Trevor Bernard
- French Settlement and English Treaties – Explanation by Stephen Augustine
- The Indian Act – Explanation by Bob Joseph
- The Indian Act – Explanation by Tanya Talaga
- The Indian Act – Explanation by Stephen Augustine
- Seeking Netujkulimk – Mi’kmaw Elder Kerry Propser
- Interview with Todd Labrador Mi’kmaw Canoe Builder – The Green Interview
PODCASTS & AUDIOBOOKS
- The Truth About Stories Massey Lectures (Listen) – by Thomas King
- All Our Relations: Finding the Path Forward Massey Lectures (Listen) – by Tanya Talaga
- Stories from the land – Podcast from Indian Cowboy
- Braiding Sweetgrass: Indigenous Wisdom, Scientific Knowledge and the Teachings of Plants – By Robin Wall Kimmerer (Audiobook Narrated by the author)
- For Mi’kmaq lessons, vocabulary, helpful posters, books, and songs, visit: Nmu’ltes: Aboriginal Language Resource
Liked this post? Please share!