Employment Opportunity: Interim Executive Director, 9-month maternity leave contract
The Avalon Sexual Assault Centre is seeking a dynamic and experienced manager to fill a 9-month maternity leave contract for the position of Interim Executive Director (IED). Reporting to the Board of Directors, the IED is responsible for the successful leadership and management of the organization in line with Avalon’s mission, vision, values, and strategic plan. The successful candidate will receive training and onboarding by our outgoing Executive Director, along with regular support from the Board Chair and Executive Committee.
Avalon is a feminist organization working to eliminate sexual assault and abuse, and to change the current socio-political culture that fosters sexism, social injustice and other forms of oppression. Avalon believes that the response to sexualized violence must be community-driven and inclusive and is committed to fostering a collaborative, holistic and supportive staff environment.
- Work closely with the Board of Directors to guide the organization in line with its strategic plan, advise the Board on the organization’s activities and any relevant issues.
- Foster effective team-work with the Board and staff.
- Represent the organization through official correspondence, public speaking and
community activities jointly with the Board.
- Ensure that the operation of the organization meets the expectations of its clients, Board and Funders.
- Oversee the efficient and effective day-to-day operation of the organization.
- Maintain, implement and review organizational policies and recommend changes to the Board of Directors as appropriate.
- Ensure that personnel, client, donor and volunteer files are securely stored, and privacy/confidentiality is maintained.
- Oversee and approve service agreements with suppliers and contractors.
- Monitor the day-to-day delivery of the programs and services of the organization to maintain or improve quality.
Human resources management:
- Oversee the implementation of human resources policies, procedures and practices including performance management and discipline when appropriate.
- Establish a positive, healthy and safe work environment in accordance with all appropriate legislation and regulations.
- Schedule regular meetings with the HR committee of the Board and seek advice as needed.
- Coach and mentor staff as appropriate to improve performance.
- Provide supervision to staff who report directly to the Executive Director.
- Determine staffing requirements for organizational management and program delivery.
- If necessary, oversee the hiring process for new staff including interviewing, providing orientation and training.
- Work with key staff and Board members to prepare a comprehensive budget.
Oversee fund development initiatives, including fundraising activities and grant writing.
- Ensure that sound bookkeeping and accounting procedures are followed.
- Administer the funds of the organization according to the approved budget and monitor the monthly cash flow of the organization.
- Ensure that the organization complies with all legislation covering taxation and withholding payments.
- Liaise with the auditor as required.
Community relations and advocacy:
- Maintain relationships with community stakeholders to foster feedback and open communication.
- Establish good working relationships and collaborative arrangements with community groups, funders, politicians, and other organizations to help achieve the goals of the organization.
- Identify and evaluate the risks to the organization’s people (clients, staff, management, and volunteers), property, finances, goodwill and image and implement measures to control risks.
- Ensure that the Board of Directors and the organization carries appropriate and adequate insurance coverage.
- Ensure that the Board and staff understand the terms, conditions and limitations of the insurance coverage.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Post-secondary degree in relevant field (graduate degree considered an asset)
Equivalent life experience will be considered, and applicants are encouraged to apply.
- 5+ years of progressive management experience in the not-for-profit sector is preferred.
- Knowledge & experience in feminist leadership and management principles.
- Knowledge of relevant HR/payroll legislation including employment standards, human rights, occupational health and safety, charities, taxation, CPP, EI, health coverage etc. would be an asset.
- Knowledge and experience in human resource, financial and project management.
- Knowledge of current community challenges and opportunities relating to the mission of the organization.
- Knowledge and experience working in the field of gender-based violence considered an asset
- Commitment to and understanding of anti-oppressive, feminist and relational values
- Hours: 35 hours/week (Monday to Friday, 8:30am to 4:30 pm OR 9:00am to 5:00pm, with 1-hour unpaid lunch break) with occasional evening work subject to Executive Director approval
- Location: This position requires regular reporting to the Avalon office, with occasional flexibility to work from home.
Compensation: $87,087 per annum.
- SEIU Local 2: Avalon is a unionized workplace. As this is a management position, the successful candidate for this position will not be a bargaining unit member with SEIU Local 2.
Avalon Centre is committed to building a diverse staff team and encourages applications from candidates from Equity-Seeking groups who bring important perspectives to the work. Members of Equity-Seeking groups face collective barriers to participating in society due to historic, social, attitudinal, and environmental marginalization base on race, ethnicity, gender, age, disability, economic status, sexual orientation, gender identity, nationality, and other challenges to equal access, opportunities, and resources. We support leadership and employment opportunities for women, trans, Two-Spirit, and non-binary people.
Please send your resume and a cover letter to Meaghan Norris, Chair of the Board of Directors.
Applications will be accepted until Thursday, September 9, 2022 at 11:59pm
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $87,087.00 per year
- Casual dress
- Dental care
- Extended health care
- RRSP match
- Vision care
- Work from home
Flexible Language Requirement: French not required
Schedule: 8 hour shift
Application deadline: 2022-09-09
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org.