STATEMENT OF INTENTION
Big Brothers Big Sisters is committed to principles of anti-oppression and employment equity.
We strongly encourage applications from Black, racialized, ethno-racial and Indigenous Peoples, 2SLGBTQ+,Francophone, newcomers or refugees to Canada, and People with Disabilities. If you are a member of a group that has been historically excluded from opportunities, we encourage you to self-identify in your cover letter or resume and to share your pronouns. We are committed to accommodating those with disabilities at any stage of the hiring process.
ABOUT BIG BROTHERS BIG SISTERS COLCHESTER
Big Brothers Big Sisters (BBBS of Colchester) is a child and youth serving non profit organization that has supported our communities for over 40 years. Many children and youth in Colchester and East Hants face adversities such as detrimental living conditions, family violence and risk factors for mental health.
These circumstances have nothing to do with the value of who they are, or who they can become. But they do put children and youth at risk of not having the opportunity to reach their full potential. Without human-centric intervention, cycles of poverty and poor health are a threat to their livelihoods. This comes at a cost to the young person, and to the community. With the guidance and support of a mentor, these challenges can be mitigated and youth are reminded that they deserve to dream big.
At Big Brothers Big Sisters, we provide direct service to children by matching volunteers and youth in quality mentoring relationships. Our agency staff members are experts at screening volunteers and matching them with a similar mentee.
In 2018, BBBS of Colchester moved to a beautiful property in North River with the dream to become an inclusive destination for local families and a safe place for our matches to gather, play, and build their relationships. Staff work out of newly renovated offices, while operating a social enterprise dairy bar in the summer season, and t he development of a new waterfront greenspace.
VISION: All young people realize their full potential
MISSION: Enable life-changing mentoring relationships to ignite the power and potential of young people.
THIS MOMENT, THIS POSITION
BBBS of Colchester is excited to find a new leader to join their team as Executive Director.
The Executive Director is responsible for leading and managing all operations of the BBBS Colchester agency. As a leader in growing our community impact, the Executive Director models and promotes excellence, accountability, quality, creativity, transparency and empathy throughout all functions of the agency.
Support the Board
- Work with the board and related committees to organize and follow up on all meetings.
- Provide reports to the board that ensure compliance with all of their legal and fiduciary duties, including charitable filings.
- Act as a professional advisor to the board on all aspects of the organization’s activities.
- Identify, assess and inform the board of internal and external issues that may affect the agency.
- Prepare and present proposals and plans to the board for review, discussion and approval with respect to any potential, new initiative that would help the agency achieve its mission and vision.
- Act as liaison between staff and board, fostering positive relations and clear understanding of the respective roles and responsibilities.
- Ensure board members receive a comprehensive orientation to the agency and National.Set Long-Term Vision and Strategic Goals
- Collaborate with the board to develop a long-term vision and strategic goals, incorporating feedback from staff and stakeholders.
- Based on input from the board, develop a strategic plan and long-term financial plan.
- Implement the plan and monitor progress towards vision and goals.
- Recommend changes to the plan, as necessary.
Plan and Manage Programs and Operations
- Work closely with the Program Manager to ensure implementation and effective execution of agency programs in accordance with National Standards and agency policies.
Work closely with the Program team to implement new innovate tools and practices to continue to live into our Theory of Change, and to evolve into an outcomes based, data-driven organization.
- Prepare, monitor, and be accountable for the annual agency operating plan and budget, based on the strategic plan.
- Ensure policies and procedures are in place for effective fiscal management and oversight.
- Work closely with the Social Enterprise/Program Manager, establish mechanisms for evaluating agency programs on a regular basis.
- Monitor revenues and expenditures against budget and make adjustments as necessary.
- Assume the role of Chief Privacy Officer and ensure adherence to federal and provincial privacy legislation.
- Identify, assess and manage all risks to the agency.
- Optimize technology to ensure efficiency and effectiveness of program delivery and operations.
- Oversee all functions of Big Bucks, Travelotto, and new fundraisers with an emphasis on growth through innovation.
- Oversee Fundy Scoops Social Enterprise, including providing support to Social Enterprise/Program Manager.
- Work closely with the Marketing and Partnerships Coordinator, seek funding opportunities to further develop greenspace, including completion of grant proposals.
- Manage construction phases of greenspace project, engaging with and reporting to community and supporters.Manage Human Resources
- Recruit and hire qualified staff and ensure proper screening.
- Oversee and direct the implementation of HR policies and procedures.
- Ensure all new staff are oriented and trained to perform their duties.
- Implement a performance management process which includes updated job descriptions, annual work plans, ongoing monitoring and an annual performance review.
- Ensure on-going training and professional development opportunities are available to staff.
- Establish clear patterns of authority, responsibility, supervision and communication with staff.
- Establish a positive, inclusive, healthy and safe work environment in accordance with all appropriate legislation and regulations.
- Create an annual fund development plan linked to the operating budget, with clear targets and actions, and a diversity of funding sources.
- Develop and implement the government relations plan.
- Identify funding programs for which the agency is eligible and prepare applications.
- Research innovative practices in fundraising and assess applicability to the agency.
- Ensure existing donors/sponsors are appropriately recognized and stewarded.
Oversee Communications and Marketing of the Agency
- Raise visibility and promote the services of the agency.
- Ensure compliance with Big Brothers Big Sisters’ brand.
- Support and mentor the Marketing and Partnerships Coordinator to elevate the BBBS Colchester brand and implement campaigns for volunteer recruitment, big bucks, and dairy bar.
- In conjunction with the Board Chair, act as the agency’s key spokesperson and representative to the community, government, and media.
- Ensure the organization builds and sustains relationships with young people, families, volunteers, donors, funders, government representatives, politicians, and other community-based agencies to help achieve the agency’s mission and goals.
- Explore and where feasible, build strategic partnerships that will advance the interests of the agency.
- Work positively and collaboratively with other agencies in the mentoring movement in Canada.
- Advance greenspace project to provide an inclusive, accessible destination for all.
- Demonstrated leadership experience.
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills.
- Experience in non-profit management, project management, and experience in operating a business are all considered strong assets.
- Experience in and proficiency with Quickbooks and a strong understanding of accounting practices is considered an asset.
The Ideal Candidate
The ideal candidate is an energetic self-starter who is comfortable working in both a team environment and independently. This people-focused leader respects and supports the varied work styles of staff and is able to flexibly manage time and multiple tasks with little supervision.
They are an advocate for envisioning and embedding values of diversity, inclusion and equity in the workplace and community at large.
We have identified the following set of ideal traits for a leader within the Big Brothers Big Sisters of Canada system and the culture of the organization as a whole:
Strategic thinking and planning
Coaching for development
Recognizing and rewarding performance
Employees must follow and adhere to all confidentiality and privacy requirements as per National Standards and agency policies and practices.
If you are looking for a rewarding, impactful career change, consider joining our passionate team!
Salary: $70,000 – $80,000 annually
Location: North River, Colchester
Big Brothers Big Sisters offers a competitive compensation package, including an RRSP matching program, health benefits, and a generous vacation policy.
The Executive Director is required to have their own means of transportation. They may also be required to attend meetings and conferences outside the province from time to time, and may be expected to work irregular hours, evenings or weekends for special BBBS functions.
Applications will be accepted until 12 p.m. on October 24, 2022.
Please be sure to include a cover letter that speaks to your experience, but we also want to get a glimpse of your personality.
Don’t be generic. Be yourself.
WHAT TO EXPECT
- We closely review all applications and read each cover letter (we promise).
- If you are selected as a top candidate, expect an invitation to chat with a Lead Placemaker from P4G. This is someone who treats the recruitment process non-traditionally. We want to get to know what inspires you.
- Selected candidates will proceed to a virtual interview with the Lead P4G Placemaker and 2-3 organization representatives.
- Finalists may participate in a second round interview or skills activity (virtual or in person).
- P4G will check employment references and assist in presenting an offer to the successful candidate.
To apply for this job please visit p4g.ca.