Website L'Arche Homefires
Changing the world...one heart at a time!
Position: Community Leader/Executive Director
Start date: July 2022 / as soon as practical
Location: Wolfville, Nova Scotia
Salary: $55,000 – $75,000
Duration: permanent full time; initial mandate of four years
L’Arche Homefires in Wolfville, NS, is seeking an experienced leader, passionate about inclusion and the core values of L’Arche, to lead this dynamic, joyful, and relationship-based community. We are looking for someone open to personal and professional growth and who can support that growth in others. The Community Leader is responsible for identifying and delivering on opportunities to fulfill the mission of L’Arche and uphold the values and philosophy outlined in the L’Arche Core Values. The Community Leader works closely with senior leaders, government officials, partners, and stakeholders to ensure the high-quality and person-centred care and well-being of the individual members of L’Arche homes and programs.
L’Arche is an organization in which people with and without intellectual disabilities share life together based on stated core values, as articulated in our Core Values Model. We live, work, and learn together in our 30 communities across Canada. Founded in 1964, L’Arche strives to shape a more human and just society where each person’s gifts are known and celebrated.
L’Arche Homefires is located in Wolfville, NS. We are a large, well-established, and diverse community with strong connections with the wider community of Wolfville and beyond. Our membership includes more than 30 people with intellectual disabilities and more than 75 full and part-time assistants and staff. L’Arche Homefires has five homes, a supported independent living program, and a diverse day program that includes the “Applewicks” brand of candles and weaving.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- With the Board, Region, and Community, lead the development of a four year plan for L’Arche Homefires and oversee its implementation and ongoing evaluation.
- Demonstrate strong leadership skills, including the ability to lead with innovation, creativity, and courage
- Develop and foster a comfortable, welcoming, and affirming community-building atmosphere.
- Ensure adherence with government standards/directives and local community policies.
- Ensure adequate structures, systems, resources, and processes are in place to meet needs of L’Arche Homefires.
- Supervise members of the Leadership Team and other administrative personnel
- Ensure that assistants and personnel continue to be well supported and supervised with regular and consistent coaching, team meetings, (supervisory) roles and goals meetings and circles of learning.
- Oversee (through the Assistants Coordinator) recruitment to ensure enough best-fit individuals are supporting the homes and programs.
- Report to the Board and act as a liaison between the Board and different levels of the L’Arche Federation
- Ensure celebrations, traditions, spiritual practices, and gatherings are inclusive and meaningful.
- Work with government and other regulators to manage risk and fulfill reporting requirements.
- Represent L’Arche with family, funders, donors, agencies, and other stakeholders.
- Manage financial planning, budgeting, and reporting to meet all requirements and preserve the financial health of the community.
- Support regional, national, and international initiatives of L’Arche.
- Previous experience in L’Arche or similar organization at senior leadership level is an asset
- Post-secondary degree or certificate in a related field is an asset
- Strong HR experience, change management skills, and business acumen
- Ability to directly address tensions in relationships and model effective resolution practices.
- Ability to actively listen, dialogue and, when appropriate, seek counsel.
- Effective at decision making and able to apply good judgement.
- Ability to effectively support and supervise members of the Leadership Team and others.
- Ability to be flexible and manage the stress of multi-faceted responsibilities and management.
- Ability to delegate effectively and responsibly, with appropriate level of supervision.
- Ability to follow-through on commitments in timely fashion
- Ability to remain calm and provide focused and clear decisions and directives in times of crisis.
- Excellent speaking and animation skills, ability to present/facilitate small and large meetings
- Excellent oral, electronic and written communication skills
- Open to learn and grow; able to give and receive constructive feedback with humility; commitment to personal and spiritual growth, self-care, and humour.
- Clear police check, including vulnerable sector screening.
- Experience with Microsoft Office Suite
How to Apply:
Please submit your resume, along with a cover letter outlining your desire for and fit with this role by 5pm on Monday, May 30, 2022 to Jenn Power at email@example.com
L’Arche Homefires is committed to fostering diversity within its community as a source of excellence, cultural enrichment, and social strength. We welcome those who would contribute to the further diversification of our community including, but not limited to: women; visible minorities; First Nations, Inuit and Métis peoples; persons with disabilities; and persons of any sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression.