RELIEF WORKER, PHOENIX YOUTH SHELTER/PHOENIX HOUSE
START DATE: AS SOON AS POSSIBLE
Since 1987, Phoenix has been dedicated to supporting youth and contributing to a vibrant community. Phoenix’s eleven locations in Halifax, N.S. provide a continuum of care for youth aged 11-24 and their families. Our team of caring professionals recognizes that each person who comes to us has individual needs as well as strengths. People are the leaders in their own lives; Phoenix is a leader in supporting them. To learn more about Phoenix visit our website: www.phoenixyouth.ca.
A staff group that represents the diversity of the people and communities we serve is of the utmost importance. Phoenix is committed to reducing barriers to employment and career growth that have traditionally impacted members from the following groups, African Nova Scotians, Indigenous People, and Other Racially Visible Persons, Members of the 2SLGBTQIA+ Community, and Persons with Disabilities. If you are a member of one of these equity-seeking groups, you are encouraged to self-identify in your cover letter or your resume. We would also appreciate if you would share your pronouns in your cover letter or your resume.
If you are someone who wants to make a difference for young people and our community, this is a fantastic opportunity to begin a career with Phoenix! Offering schedule flexibility, great learning opportunities and the ability to grow within the organization, we look for staff who are dedicated to the work we do. We are committed to supporting staff to meet their professional goals and make every effort to promote from within.
Relief Workers are called on a casual basis to work shifts at Phoenix Youth Shelter (emergency shelter), Phoenix House (long-term residence) and at Phoenix Centre for Youth (walk-in centre). We are hiring people who are available to work at least 20 hours per week. Although we cannot guarantee hours, we are usually able to provide Relief Workers with 30-40 hours of work per week. Relief Workers should be prepared to work in the 3 programs listed above and to work any time of day including awake overnights with shift lengths ranging from 3 to 12 hours.
Compensation: $21.00 per hour, Employee and Family Assistance Program, Opportunities for advancement.
Reports to: Manager of Phoenix Program.
Screening Requirements: This position is subject to a criminal record check, vulnerable sector search, a child abuse register check and proof of education.
- Provide support and programming for youth.
- Provide a supportive environment that promotes youth empowerment.
- Assess and address the needs of the programs’ youth, including crisis intervention.
- Complete and maintain all logs, files and records as required and ensure confidentiality is protected.
- Supervise and monitor the program’s activities and ensure that policies, security and safety are maintained.
- Bachelor of Social Work or an undergraduate degree in a related discipline.
- Proven track record in establishing good working relationships with youth.
- Demonstrated skills in the development of rapport and trust with youth; the creation of a safe and secure setting for youth; and ensuring that youth services are offered in a therapeutic and non-judgmental manner.
- Ability to work from a youth-centred approach.
- Demonstrated exceptional level of interpersonal, communication, organizational and youth service skills.
- Non-violent crisis intervention (Crisis Prevention Institute preferable), suicide intervention (ASIST), standard first aid or a commitment to secure those requirements within six months of being hired.
As Phoenix continues to provide in-person programs and services during the COVID-19 pandemic, we have an obligation to maintain a safe environment for our staff, volunteers, student placements, and the youth, families, and community members we work with. Phoenix firmly believes a vaccinated population is a vital part of keeping us, our youth, families, and communities protected from COVID-19 and the developing, fast-moving variants. Please be aware that Phoenix Youth Programs requires all employees, volunteers and student placements working at any of our Phoenix locations to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, (subject to specific exemptions regarding health or human rights issues).
Please forward a resume and a cover letter (in Word or as a PDF document) with pertinent information about your qualifications to:
firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Relief Worker”
Recruitment is on-going.