Website The North Grove
Parenting Journey Home Visitor
The North Grove strives for a staff composition that is diverse and reflective of the community of Dartmouth North. Individuals who identify as Indigenous, African-Nova Scotian, Black and/or from other racially visible backgrounds or another group that is underrepresented in workplaces, are encouraged to apply and self-identify.
Priority will be given to applicants from these equity-deserving groups.
About The North Grove: The North Grove (www.thenorthgrove.ca) is a dynamic community hub, situated in the community of Dartmouth North. We offer programs, services and space for people to learn and connect through family support, food, and friendship.
Our approach is rooted in strengths-based practice. This practice sees all members of our community as having resourceful and resilient qualities and strives to support individuals’ self-determination. We seek applicants who share our commitment to working within this model.
About the Program: Parenting Journey is a home visitation program that provides support for families experiencing complex social, emotional and familial challenges. With the support of a strong program and Centre team, Parenting Journey Home Visitors work collaboratively with families to build meaningful helping relationships while collectively identifying strengths, resources, challenges, and priorities using a holistic and harm reduction framework. Support is provided in the areas of child/youth growth and development, parent-child relationships, parenting knowledge and skills, family life management, and community connections/referrals.
About You: The North Grove is seeking to build a diverse team and values lived experience and non-traditional ways of learning. If you don’t meet all of the criteria below but you are excited about the job description and believe you bring unique experience and perspective, please apply!
What you bring:
· Demonstrated sensitivity, compassion, and a non-judgmental attitude, as well as initiative, self-direction and teamwork.
· An understanding of and appreciation for how the determinants of health impact families in the community.
· Education in Early Childhood Development, Family Studies, Human Services, Psychology, and/or Sociology would be an asset.
· Post-secondary diploma or degree in a Social Service-related major or equivalent experience
· Experience in parenting, and/or working/volunteering with families.
· Knowledge of a range of community resources relevant to families and the ability to connect families with these resources.
· Ability and skills necessary to communicate respectfully with families from diverse backgrounds and identities.
· Good oral and written communication skills and excellent interpersonal skills.
· Ability to establish and maintain personal/program boundaries, while providing supportive services.
· CPR/First Aid certification or willingness to obtain certification.
· Valid Nova Scotia Driver’s License and ownership of a reliable, insured vehicle is required.
· Satisfactory criminal record, vulnerable sector and child abuse registry checks required upon offer.
Reporting Structure: The Parenting Journey Home Visitor will report to the Parenting Journey Program Lead.
Hours: 8:30-4:30 Monday to Friday with occasional other hours required for special events and programs.
Salary: $42,000-$48,000. All salaries are reviewed annually as part of the budgeting process.
Working at The North Grove
The North Grove is a bustling, high-energy work environment. The team is made up of 28 staff and 150 community volunteers. Staff wellbeing is prioritized and we provide training opportunities, employer-paid medical/dental benefits, RRSP, 4 weeks of paid vacation, paid sick time and personal days. This position is based in Dartmouth, however there is the opportunity to do some work from home. Regular short-distance travel to participant homes is required.
Deadline to apply: Monday November 6, 2023
How to apply: Please send a cover letter and resume in one PDF to Andrea Cole, Parenting Journey Program Lead at firstname.lastname@example.org under the subject line: Application for Parenting Journey Home Visitor.
We thank everyone who expresses interest and will reply to all candidates with an update on their application.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com.