Website The North Grove
The North Grove is a dynamic community hub in Dartmouth North
Youth Program Facilitator
Full-time, Term Position
Application deadline: May 29th, 2023 at 10:00a
The North Grove strives for a staff composition that is diverse and reflective of the community of Dartmouth North. Individuals who identify as Indigenous, African Nova Scotian, Black, from other racially visible backgrounds, 2SLGBTQIA+, or another group that is underrepresented in workplaces due to discrimination, are encouraged to apply and self-identify. Priority will be given to applicants from these equity-deserving groups.
About The North Grove: The North Grove (www.thenorthgrove.ca) is a dynamic community hub, situated in the community of Dartmouth North. Our Family and Community Food Centre offer programs, services and space for people to learn and connect through family support, food, and friendship.
Our approach is rooted in strengths-based practice. This practice sees all members of our community as having resourceful and resilient qualities and strives to support individual’s self-determination. We seek applicants who share our commitment to working within this model.
About the Youth Volunteer Program: Our youth volunteer program welcomes individuals ages 12-15 from Dartmouth North who are looking to engage with their community in a meaningful way. This program will offer a diverse set of opportunities to build skills from meal prep, to farm work, to childcare, and more. Participants will be on site 3-4 days a week for 4 hours each day over the months of July and August. Lunch will be provided on site for youth to connect with one another and staff, and to share a healthy meal. This opportunity will provide youth with relevant job skills, references, and social skills, building their confidence and leadership skills to help them find employment in the future. This youth volunteer program highlights the importance of community gathering spaces and the connections forged within them. We want
our youth volunteers to feel a strong sense of belonging at The North Grove and to take pride in the contributions they make to our programs.
Position title: Youth Program Facilitator
Start date: Wednesday July 5th*
End date: Friday August 25th
Hours: 37.5 hours/week
*Up to two days of paid onboarding in June tbc
Description: The Youth Program Facilitator will work closely with the Volunteer Coordinator to support and supervise up to 10 youth taking part in the summer volunteer program. You will excel in this position if you are passionate about working with youth, have great interpersonal skills, and like to take initiative.
The Youth Program Facilitator will:
• Work with the Volunteer Coordinator to schedule youth in various volunteer roles
across the organization.
• Supervise, mentor, and build positive relationships with youth during the program.
• Facilitate life and employment skills workshops for youth in the volunteer program.
• Support other program and workshop facilitators with delivering sessions for youth.
• Organize and plan lunches for youth participants.
• Conduct youth program evaluation throughout the summer.
• Plan and execute a variety of tasks related to the youth volunteer program.
• Support other activities at The North Grove as needed.
What you will bring:
The North Grove is seeking to build a diverse team and values lived experience and nontraditional ways of learning. If you don’t meet all the criteria below but you are excited about the job description and believe you bring unique experience and perspective, please apply!
• A positive, engaging and solutions-focused attitude to the work.
• Excellent organizational and communication skills.
• A strong desire to work in a community setting.
• 1+ years of recent experience in planning and delivering youth programs.
• Understanding and knowledge of issues facing youth in Dartmouth North.
• Understanding of strength-based approaches to programming.
• Experience in group presentation, facilitation and team building.
• Ability to document and evaluate progress on goals and strategies.
• Adaptable, positive and flexible character with creative problem-solving abilities.
• A warm and supportive manner when engaging with youth participants, volunteers, and other staff.
• Experience supervising people is considered an asset.
• Child abuse & criminal record check is required.
To apply, please mail or email a cover letter and resume in one document to Catherine Morley,Volunteer Coordinator (6 Primrose Street, Dartmouth, NS B3A 4C5 /firstname.lastname@example.org) under the subject line: Application for Youth Program Facilitator.
Applications due: Monday May, 29 2023 at 10am.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com.