Website The North Grove
Parenting Journey Home Visitor
Full-time, Term Position
The North Grove strives for a staff composition that is diverse and reflective of the community of Dartmouth North. Individuals who identify as Indigenous, African-Nova Scotian, Black and/or from other racially visible backgrounds or another group that is underrepresented in workplaces, are encouraged to apply and self-identify.
About The North Grove
The North Grove (www.thenorthgrove.ca) is a dynamic community hub, situated in the Dartmouth North community. Our Family and Community Food Centre offer programs, services and space for people to learn and connect through family support, food, and friendship. Our approach is rooted in strengths-based practice. This practice sees all members of our community as having resourceful and resilient qualities and strives to support an individual’s self-determination. We seek applicants who share our commitment to working within this model.
The Parenting Journey is a home visitation program that provides support for families experiencing complex social, emotional and familial challenges. With the support of a strong program and Centre team, Parenting Journey Home Visitors work collaboratively with families to build meaningful helping relationships while collectively identifying strengths, resources, challenges, and priorities using a holistic and harm reduction framework. Support is provided in the areas of child/youth growth and development, parent-child relationships, parenting knowledge and skills, family life management, and community connections/referrals.
The Parenting Journey Home Visitor must demonstrate sensitivity, compassion, and a non-judgmental attitude, as well as initiative, self-direction and teamwork. They must show an understanding of and appreciation for how the determinants of health impact families in the community.
· Education in Early Childhood Development, Family Studies, Human Services, Psychology, and/or Sociology would be an asset.
· Post-secondary diploma or degree in a Social Service-related major or equivalent experience
· Experience in parenting, and/or working/volunteering with families.
· Knowledge of a range of community resources relevant to families and the ability to connect families with these resources.
· Ability and skills necessary to communicate respectfully with families from diverse backgrounds and identities.
· Good oral and written communication skills and excellent interpersonal skills.
· Ability to establish and maintain personal/program boundaries, while providing supportive services.
· CPR/First Aid certification or willingness to obtain certification.
· Valid Nova Scotia Driver’s License and ownership of a reliable, insured vehicle is required.
· Satisfactory criminal record, vulnerable sector and child abuse registry checks.
Salary range: $38,000 – $42,000/year with benefits
Deadline to apply: October 31, 2022
How to apply: Please send a cover letter and resume by email to Caralee McDaniel, Family Programs Manager at email@example.com under the subject line: Application for Parenting Journey Home Visitor. Only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org.