Website The North Grove
The North Grove strives for a staff composition that is diverse and reflective of the community of Dartmouth North. Individuals who identify as Indigenous, African Nova Scotian, Black and/or other racially visible backgrounds or another group that is underrepresented in workplaces, are encouraged to apply and self-identify.
Priority will be given to applicants from these equity-seeking groups.
About The North Grove: The North Grove (www.thenorthgrove.ca) is a dynamic community hub, situated in the community of Dartmouth North. Our Family and Community Food Centre offer programs, services and space for people to learn and connect through family support, food, and friendship.
Our approach is rooted in strengths-based practice. This practice sees all members of our community as having resourceful and resilient qualities and strives to support individual’s self-determination. We seek applicants who share our commitment to working within this model.
The Community Action Coordinator: The successful candidate will provide leadership and coordination for community development programs, working with community members through a variety of programs. They will provide leadership during Community Drop-in Programs; coordinate and facilitate Community Action Training programs; offer workshops and programs designed to help engage community members in community development and information initiatives; provide service navigation training and manage service navigation; support civic engagement and public awareness campaigns; supervise Peer Advocates, program volunteers and placement students; and support overall programs and events.
Reporting Structure: The Community Action Coordinator reports directly to the Director of Programs.
Hours: Monday to Friday 8:30-4:30 or 9:00-5:00 with occasional evening/weekends required for special events or programs.
What you will do: The Community Action Coordinator works to engage the community in a variety of activities at the Centre and in the broader community. They help to create and maintain a welcoming, safe space for all to use. They are highly responsive to individual community members seeking support; they take part in advocacy committees outside the Centre; and they stay up to date on policies and actions that relate to poverty, food insecurity, and other issues impacting the community of Dartmouth North. The Community Action Coordinator provides supervision to the Peer Advocates.
The Community Action Coordinator will:
· Provide leadership in planning and facilitating the Community Action Training program
· Manage and facilitate civic engagement opportunities and workshops for community members
· Coordinate the Peer Navigator’s program including recruiting, training, mentoring and supervising
· Sit on committees, working groups and research groups related to community development
· Facilitate community drop-ins
· Work directly with other Program Coordinators to support program delivery throughout The North Grove
· Build relationships with participants using a strengths-based approach
· Participate in weekly staff meetings, trainings, team development and internal committees
What you will bring
· A post-secondary diploma/certificate/degree in an applicable field or comparable experience
· A minimum of 2 years’ experience supervising staff or volunteers or program participants
· Experience in program planning and working with vulnerable populations
· Experience hosting events, workshops, group programming
· Experience in a non-profit setting
· Experience and knowledge working with diverse staff, programs and client populations
· Excellent communication skills
· Excellent organizational skills
· Ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment
· Adaptable, positive and flexible character with creative problem-solving abilities
· Exceptional people skills with ability to act as a role model and mentor
· Ability to work collaboratively within an interdisciplinary team environment
· Child/elder abuse and criminal records check is required
· Proficiency in MS Office 365 is an asset
· First Aid certificate or willingness to acquire
Salary range: $40,000 – $47,000 with benefits and RRSP
How to apply: Please send your cover letter and resume by March 30, 2023 to: Wendy Fraser, Executive Director, The North Grove by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by mail to 6 Primrose Street, Unit 115, Dartmouth NS, B3A 4C2
We thank everyone who expresses interest but only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com.