Website The North Grove
The North Grove strives for a staff composition that is diverse and reflective of the community of Dartmouth North. Individuals who identify as Indigenous, African Nova Scotian, Black and/or from other racially visible backgrounds or another group that is underrepresented in workplaces, are encouraged to apply and self identify.
About The North Grove
The North Grove (www.thenorthgrove.ca) is a dynamic community hub, situated in the Dartmouth North community. Our Family and Community Food Centre offer programs, services and space for people to learn and connect through family support, food, and friendship.
Our approach is rooted in strengths-based practice. This practice sees all members of our community as having resourceful and resilient qualities and strives to support individual’s self-determination. We seek applicants who share our commitment to working within this model.
We are looking for an energetic, enthusiastic and people-oriented person who has a keen interest in food, cooking and working with others to contribute to our food programming at The North Grove. Key duties of the role will include: working in and overseeing the running of our dish room, working with volunteers, supporting overall kitchen operations and other food programming while contributing to a positive and friendly kitchen environment and adhering to our high standards of health and safety. This position requires long periods of standing and heavy lifting. The Dishwasher/Prep Cook reports directly to the Community Meals Coordinator/Chef.
What you will do:
· Lead dish room cleaning tasks in an efficient manner
· Carry out daily cleaning as needed
· Follow safe cleaning practices as outlined by the centre
· Support preparation of approximately 500 meals each week
· Support and lead volunteers who work in the dish room – assist them o follow safe food handling and cleaning practices
· Assist with food ordering an in managing food deliveries
· Assist with inventory management and in keep kitchen and pantry tidy and organized
· Build relationships with a diverse group of Volunteers and participants using a strength based approach
· Work collaboratively with other staff across the organization to deliver service as needed
· Participate in broader activities that support the organization as needed: program support, Centre tours, videos, fundraising, Centre cleaning, communications, special events, etc.
What you will bring:
· Experience and willingness to work in a fast paced production environment with repetitive tasks
· Experience and willingness to manage heavy loads
· Strong attention to detail and a good eye for cleanliness and hygiene
· Confident and comfortable working alone as well as part of a team
· Comfortable working in a repetitive in nature environment following SOPs (standard operating procedures) •
· Ability to work in a rapidly changing environment
· Ability to handle prolonged periods walking or standing.
· Must be able to lift, carry, and place up to 60 pounds at a time.
· Must be able to work daytimes, with occasional evening programs or events.
· Must be able to bend, stoop, and wipe frequently.
· Must frequently immerse hands in water.
· Must be able to work in a hot and damp environment.
· Must have or acquire non-slip shoes.
· Ability to work independently in an organized and efficient way
· Basic food prep skills
· Familiarity with the community of Dartmouth North (living and/or working) considered an asset
· Safe Food Handling and First Aid certified (or willing to receive)
· High school diploma or equivalent GED required
Hours: 37.5 hours weekly, Monday to Friday
Salary: $19.50 per hr ($38,025.00 annually) + immediate health benefits, pension benefits and very generous vacation and time off package.
Opportunity to work or train with a Red Seal Chef
Application deadline: December 12, 2022
Please send a resume and cover letter in a single document to:
Chef Chris Lampier
The North Grove
**Only those chosen for an interview will be contacted.