Town House, Glace Bay Citizen's Service League
We are seeking a dynamic, highly motivated Manager of Town House’s Community Day Centre who is a new graduate, demonstrates our values of compassion, accountability, responsiveness and empowerment to our service users, volunteers, and staff. The Community Day Centre Manager actively provides support, services, and referrals to individuals experiencing homelessness and/or poverty. Services are based on a collaborative, harm reduction approach to service delivery.
This position is part of the Labour, Skills, and Immigration Graduate to Opportunity Program, therefore the successful candidate must have successfully completed a post-secondary program within the past 12 months.
About Town House Glace Bay Citizen’s Service League
Established in 1967, Glace Bay Citizens Service League is a volunteer based non-profit, charitable organization which offers programs that improve the quality of life of the community of Glace Bay, Nova Scotia, Canada, and surrounding areas, in response to needs identified by residents.
Town House is opening a Community Day Centre for community members experiencing homelessness and/ or poverty. Service users will be able to drop in to the centre, have a shower, or do laundry, access resources, or just relax and have a cup of coffee.
The Community Day Centre Manager will be responsible for participating in the research and development of centre policies, standards, and best practices. Once the centre opens, the manager will be responsible for day to day operations, including, but not limited to, managing staff, volunteers, and placement students, reports and case management, as well as offering service users support through referrals, making appointments, and developing relationships through kindness and respect.
This position description is split into two different phases, since the successful candidate will help us design our new Community Day Centre program. For the first 3-6 months, the Community Day Centre Manager will work Mon-Fri 9-5 (with some scheduling/ work from home flexibility) while they work with our team to design the program, secure funding, connect with community partners, etc.
Once the centre is ready to operate, we will move into the implementation phase, where the Community Day Centre Manager will oversee and facilitate the day-to-day operations of the centre.
Shifts will become 12 hours, from 7am-7pm, on a rotating bi-weekly schedule of 3 days on, 4 days off, then 4 days on, 3 days off.
Education and Experience:
- Post-secondary degree/diploma in community social services or relevant equivalent. Must have graduated within the past 12 months.
- One year of recent, related work or volunteer experience with marginalized populations experiencing homelessness with an emphasis on mental health, addictions, poverty and/or social services and a demonstrated ability to form rapport with target population considered an asset.
- Experience providing service user-centered services within a multi-disciplinary team of providers.
- Current First Aid and CPR certification, non-violent crisis intervention, ASIST
- WHIMIS and Naloxone training considered an asset, but can be provided during onboarding
- Collaboratively and efficiently work within a multi-disciplinary team of health and social service professionals.
- Work effectively within a strengths-based service user-centered approach to service delivery.
- Ability to adhere to a strict policy of confidentiality, code of conduct, policies and procedures
- Proven verbal and written communication skills
- Behave in a calm, professional manner
- Must possess a mature, professional outlook; exercise sound judgement
- Treat service users with dignity and respect
- Be knowledgeable about the impact of poverty and homelessness and affordable housing.
- Maintain service user privacy by sharing information only on a need-to-know basis. Protect the confidential information of the service users.
- Knowledge of stages of change
- Knowledge of harm reduction concepts
- Knowledge of treatment and supports for persons with complex social and health needs
- Proficiency in Microsoft Applications, including word, excel, outlook
- Participate in advisory committee meetings and all relevant staff meetings and training opportunities, as requested.
- Research, develop, and implement policies, guidelines, community standards, program priorities and best practices in collaboration with advisory committee and Executive Director.
- Submit monthly program reports to Executive Director.
- Participate in securing special and ongoing funding for this project with Town House Executive Director.
- Assist in the development, management and delivery of programs and activities for service users.
- Build connections and resources within the community.
- Manage Day Centre schedule.
- Assist with program engagements, assessments, case planning, and appropriate referrals of service users to facilitate service user connection to community resources. Correctly follow relevant referral procedures for resource referrals both internally and externally.
- Develop, maintain, and strengthen relationships with service users, stakeholders and community partners to achieve goals and influence outcomes.
- Complete case notes and record/ update required paperwork, such as logbook/HIFIS and/or Incident Reports, as applicable. Accurately and professionally document notes relating to service user interactions and keep other team members up to date on service user concerns or issues.
- Assist the Town House team in maintaining daily operations of the facility including building security, proper storage of deliveries and donations, reviewing shift checklists, daily cleaning, etc. as required.
- Maintain the basic day-to-day routines and program activities within the centre ensuring that all Day Centre rules and safety procedures are adhered to.
- Assess the risk involved in accepting each service user and act accordingly.
- Maintain a state of awareness enabling difficult and potentially confrontational situations to be averted, or quickly resolved.
- Respond according to program protocols to emergency or crisis situations.
- During the Day Centre’s opening hours, engage in daily interaction with service users building appropriate relationships to provide much needed information, support, encouragement and guidance.
- Manage Day Centre staff, volunteers, co-op and work experience placements, offering them mentorship, orientation & training, and support by modeling professional behavior.
Planning Phase: (3-6 months) 40 hours per week, Monday to Friday 9-5 (some flexibility in hours available)
Implementation Phase: (Permanent) 12 hour shifts, Week 1: 3 days on, 4 days off, Week 2: 4 days on, 3 days off, 7am-7pm, some weekends
Nature of position: This is a full-time, permanent position.
Rate of pay: $22.00 per hour
Position Location: This role is based out of Town House on Commercial Street in Glace Bay (with some options for offsite programming and remote work during the 3-6 month planning phase).
Thank you for your interest in this position. Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
Application Instructions: Cover letters should be addressed to the attention of Patti McDonald
Important: Please submit your resume and cover letter combined as a single PDF document (applications received in other formats will be excluded from review)
We recognize and value people’s lived experience as a legitimate attestation of skills and abilities. Applicants are encouraged to describe their relevant experience and interest in working with our Town House team in their cover letter.
Town House is committed to employment equity and fostering a collegial culture grounded in diversity and inclusiveness. We acknowledge that members from equity-deserving groups face systemic barriers due to race, gender identity, religion, ability, or sexual orientation and we encourage applications from individuals who represent the full diversity of our communities. Applicants are welcome to self-identify in their cover letter or application.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com.