Advocacy & The Community Sector
One of our top priorities as a Sector Council is to advocate for organizations within our sector. In this section we will highlight the ways in which we have been actively advocating for support for Nonprofit & Voluntary organizations during the COVID-19 pandemic:
Join the Conversation!
If you are an ED, CEO, or Board Chair please fill out this sign-up form to join our online discussion forum (via Basecamp). This forum is a confidential space for leaders in Nonprofit & Voluntary organizations to discuss the numerous issues and challenges they are facing in light of COVID-19 as well as to provide us with direction on how we can support you as a Sector Council.
NS Nonprofit COVID Coalition: Virtual Forums
A key initiative of the Coalition is to connect subject matter experts with sector leaders who are working on the frontlines while at the same time trying to understand and interpret new information, new funding programs, and changing policies and legislation. You can find summaries of these regular discussions updated on the Coalition's website!
Resources to Support Advocacy
- The State of the Nonprofit Sector in Nova Scotia Report - by Atlantic Provinces Economic Council (APEC)
- Nonprofit Advocacy Series - by The Philanthropist
- Don't force charities and non-profits into crisis before wage subsidy kicks in - Article by Shannon Daub for Policy Note
- The Canadian Charitable Sector in COVID-19 and Beyond - Podcast by The Social Impact Advisors
- ONN Policy Paper Series - Protecting community assets through nonprofits: A three-part series from the Ontario Nonprofit Network (ONN)
Activities by other organizations
- Sector Letters to the Premier - Comprehensive List managed by Imagine Canada
- COVID-19 Member Impact Survey - Halifax Chamber of Commerce
- Impacts of COVID-19 on Canadians - Survey by Statistics Canada
- COVID-19 Impact Survey - Results of survey by Canadian Council of the Blind
- Open Letter to Directors, Executive Directors, and CEOs of Canadian Charities and Non-Profits - Senator Ratna Omidvar in The Philanthropist