Impact Organizations of Nova Scotia (IONS) is working toward a vision of a decolonized, just and equitable Nova Scotia. And that starts with our team. We grow, learn and better serve our communities with a diversity of perspectives and lived experiences housed within our staff team. We welcome and prioritize the unique contributions people bring in terms of their geographic location in the province, education and lived experiences, culture, ethnicity, Indigenous status, race, spoken languages, gender identity and expression, age, religion, ability, sexual orientation and beliefs.
We encourage applications from those from African Nova Scotian, Indigenous, racialized, disabled, and 2SLGBTQIA+ communities. We are intentional in our recruitment approach and will prioritize diversity in our selection process. If you are a member of an equity-deserving group, and comfortable doing so, please self-identify in your application.
You’re a creative collaborator and facilitator who enjoys working and learning in a team environment. You are a skilled communicator and project manager with experience in designing and implementing compelling, high-quality learning programs using adult education practices. You have a deep understanding of developing programs with a JEDDI lens and have a willingness to engage with and learn about equity, intersectionality, anti-racism, and decolonization. You are passionate about creating purposeful learning goals and guiding people to new understanding and practice.
As a member of the IONS staff, you’re team oriented, empathetic, and value relationship building.
We recognize that learning happens in many ways and we value perspectives from lived experiences and alternative ways of knowing, and so combinations of education and experience will be considered.
Working with IONS
The IONS team is passionate about supporting Nova Scotia’s Community Impact Sector and has a culture rooted in learning, challenging dominant ways of working, and building trust-based relationships. We engage in continuous adaptation based on our experiences and feedback, both in relation to what we offer the sector and how we work together internally. We are committed to advancing JEDDI (Justice, Equity, Decolonization, Diversity, and Inclusion) at an individual, organizational, and systems level.
IONS currently has seven full-time staff, six based in Halifax and one in Cape Breton. We are currently examining how we structure and work together and are on a path toward an organizational model that prioritizes peer-to-peer accountability and collaboration over hierarchy. You will be joining us while we are still on this transitional path – so an interest in experimenting with new ways of working will be important! We are committed to developing a healthy workplace culture that helps to prevent burnout and are also currently piloting a 4-day work week with the hopes of making it a permanent organizational policy.
- This is a full-time position with a dynamic and passionate team.
- This position has the option of being based in the Halifax office or working remotely.
- Hybrid working options are available if based in the Halifax area.
- Compensation will be between $65,000-75,000 commensurate with experience and partially paid group benefits will be offered after a six-month probationary period.
- A 4-day work week (Fridays off – totaling 30 hours/week with some flexibility within the working day) will be in place until March 31, 2022, with the possibility of becoming a permanent policy.
- Vacation (up to 5 weeks, dependent on prior experience, and prorated for the 4-day work week), wellness days (12 per year), and paid time off for office closure during the winter holiday period will be part of the compensation package.
Ready to Join Our Team?
Deadline: Applications will be accepted until midnight on Tuesday, February 28th
Start Date: We are hoping to have someone in place as soon as possible, but by the end of March would be ideal
Submission Process: Fill out the form here to submit your application!
IONS Approach to Hiring
We believe that learning and knowing happens in many ways and we value perspectives from lived experience, thus equivalent combinations of education and lived experience will be considered.
The hiring process often privileges white, able-bodied, neurotypical people who can conform to Eurocentric ways of working and being. We recognize the inherent imbalance within the traditional hiring process, and that position interviews are typically very formal and structured with power dynamics leaning heavily in favour of the employer. IONS is committed to relational work, developing and supporting a workplace culture that prioritizes people. As part of our commitments to JEDDI and dismantling colonial and capitalist practices, we have adjusted our hiring processes – and continue to do so – to work toward balancing the power dynamic.
What You Can Expect:
- Once you apply through the form, you’ll receive an automated confirmation email. The IONS team will then review all applications to determine who we would like to learn more about.
- Interviews can take place virtually or in person, depending on the applicant’s comfort level and accessibility needs.
- We will share interview questions in advance, so you have time to reflect and prepare.
- Applicants selected for an interview will receive a $50 honourarium for their time.
- Any work samples requested will be from the applicant’s existing portfolio rather than requesting that new work be done.
- We will ensure that all applicants are kept informed of decisions related to the process.
If you require any accommodations in submitting your application or navigating the process,
please reach out to Diane Connors, Managing Director at email@example.com
I am inspired by the way you have presented your philosophy of service and how you have demonstrated that you “walk the talk” so to speak.
If you don’t already, may I suggest that you offer a sample of this format of job posting as a template to other organizations? Many in the IO industry are watching job postings for their clients (as well as for themselves) and having an astrics in your job add telling readers that you have resources for others looking to improve their own HR practices may even be helpful 🙂
Thank you kindly! For all that you do. I’m absolutely inspired ✨️
Thank you for your comment and sharing your feedback with us, Julianne! In supporting the sector, part of our future plan is to be able to share our policies and procedures as a template for impact organizations to use.