Impact Organizations of Nova Scotia (IONS) is working toward a more just and equitable Nova Scotia and that starts with our team. We grow, learn and better serve our communities with a diversity of perspectives and lived experiences. We welcome and prioritize the unique contributions people bring with their education and ways of knowing, culture, Indigenous status, race, spoken languages, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, age, religion, disability, and geographic location in the province. We are committed to being an inclusive and equitable employer and creating a welcoming workplace.
We encourage applications from those from African Nova Scotian, Indigenous, Black, racialized, 2SLGBTQIA+, and disabled communities. We prioritize diversity in our selection process. If you are a member of an equity-deserving groups, and feel comfortable doing so, please self-identify in your cover letter and/ or resume.
We are seeking an individual who is passionate about purpose-driven work and takes pride in being both organized and able to contribute to a wide variety of tasks. You will be working most closely with the Operations Manager and the IONS Operations Team. You’ll be supporting nearly all aspects of IONS’ work, so you’ll have to be comfortable with changing tasks and jumping in where needed. We hope to find someone who loves working collaboratively, values diversity of knowledge and viewpoints, and is solution oriented. You will also need to be very comfortable with learning and using a variety of technology systems and supporting general logistics and administrative tasks. We also want to make sure you have opportunities to engage in projects that pique your interest and help you develop your leadership skills.
This position is suitable for someone in the early stages of their career, and we encourage applications from recent graduates, as well as those with experience in nonprofit administration.
Working with IONS
It’s time to reimagine what’s possible in, with, and for communities. The IONS team is passionate about supporting Nova Scotia’s Community Impact Sector and has a culture rooted in learning, challenging dominant ways of working, and building trust-based relationships. We engage in continuous adaptation based on our experiences and feedback, both in relation to what we offer the sector and how we work together internally.
Our team is headquartered in Halifax with the ability to support hybrid and remote working arrangements. IONS currently has nine (9) full-time staff, eight (8) of which are based in Halifax and one (1) in Cape Breton. We are currently examining how we structure and work together and are on a path toward an organizational model that prioritizes peer-to-peer accountability and collaborative teamwork over hierarchy. You will be joining us while we are still on this transitional path – so an interest in experimenting with new ways of working will be important! We are committed to developing a healthy workplace culture that helps to prevent burnout and have a four-day work week.
We seek to support the volunteers and staff who are organizing and working to build a more just and equitable society in Mi’kma’ki. To advance this work and provide administrative support to our Operations Team, we’re expanding our team with the addition of a full-time Operations Coordinator role.
- This is a full-time position with a dynamic and passionate team.
- This position has the possibility of being remote or based in the Halifax office with hybrid working options.
- Compensation will be between $50,000-55,000 commensurate with experience.
- A 4-day work week (Fridays off – totaling 32 hours/week with some flexibility within the working day) is part of the IONS benefits package.
- Vacation (4 weeks) and wellness days (12 per year), as well as office closure during the winter holiday period, will be part of the compensation package.
- We offer a comprehensive health plan (employees pay 50% of health and dental portion plus 100% of long-term disability) and a $250/year wellness fund per year (prorated based on start date). Health benefits are available starting immediately.
IONS is a hybrid workplace, and aims to support those living anywhere in Nova Scotia. We have an office space in Halifax (2045 Harvard Street) and Halifax staff have created a schedule that typically allows 1-2 days a week in the office/working from home. Physical space accessibility considerations: our office entrance has 5 steps. There is no ramp or automatic doors. The space may be challenging to navigate for folks with mobility concerns.
Ready to Join Our Team?
Deadline: Applications will be accepted until midnight on Wednesday, November 1st
Start Date: We are hoping to have someone in place by November 27th
Submission Process: Fill out the form here to submit your application!
What’s the Process?
The hiring process often privileges white, able-bodied, neurotypical people who can conform to Eurocentric ways of working and being. We recognize the inherent power dynamic within the capitalist hiring process which weighs heavily in favour of the organization. In keeping with our equity and justice commitments and recognizing that the hiring process is relational work, we’re consciously iterating new ways of approaching how we do this. We’re ready to hire our next team member, but we also want you to want to choose us as an employer.
What You Can Expect:
- Once you apply through the form, you’ll receive an automated confirmation email. The IONS team will then review all applications to determine who we would like to learn more about. As this is relational work, every applicant will receive an email whether you’ve been selected to move forward for an interview or not.
- Initial interviews will be held virtually via Zoom or in person at our Halifax office depending on location, availability, and accessibility for the candidate(s).
- We understand the stress and anxiety of these processes so we will send a copy of the interview questions to everyone in advance of our conversation. Heads up – we may reach out for a second round!
- We recognize that creating an application and preparing for an interview is unpaid labour so a $50 honorarium will be offered to everyone who participates in the interview process.
If you require any accommodations in submitting your application or navigating the process,
please reach out to Alexandra Theroux, Operations Manager at email@example.com